Thursday, February 17, 2005

New Kids On The Block

Today I had 2 new pupils who joined my class. One is Jeong Won Seok, a boy, and the other is a girl, Jeong Min-Ji. Both are Koreans.

Yesterday when I met up with their mothers, I tested the children on their reading abilities. Not too bad, they can read.

Both Min-Ji and Won Seok have got 1 younger brother each in P1. One is in 1-1, and the other in 1-2, so I won't get to teach them. I found out incidentally that they actually reside in JB, as their fathers work there. The poor kids have to travel every day across the causeway to Jalan Kayu to study. Prior to our school, they were actually studying in an international school in JB, but according to their mums, the school has just closed. Woodlands area does not have any school with available places for them, so they have to come all the way here.

I saw how much trouble the parents have to take to settle the kids, and I really admire them from the bottom of my heart.

Today, I met Christine in my school. She and a colleague came to Fernvale to meet up with Li Li for something. I went to say hi. Christine is visibly pregnant, looking good. We couldn't talk much as I was busy with my book display for the class library, so we just had brief exchanges of hi-s.

No comments: