Sunday, October 09, 2005

Smoke Gets In Your ... Face

Today hubby and I went to the hawker centre at Heartland Mall for lunch. It was very crowded but I manage to find an empty table and sat down.

2 ladies came to join us at our table and then 1 more of their friend came shortly after. One of them was apparently very young, probably in her early twenties. She's a Malaysian working in Singapore. The other 2 were "Singaporean Aunties". From their conversataion, I gathered that they are the typical production workers kind who are not highly educated and don't earn a lot.

The young one finished her food rather quickly and lit a cigarette. I was too shocked to say anything. When hubby came back to the table with his food, he was pretty annoyed with her for smoking. One of the friends actually told her softly that nowdays, the smoking-in-public rules are quite strict. She, being Malaysian, was probably ignorant of our laws. Anyway, she held her cigarette under the table when she's not puffing, so we just tolerated it.

Halfway through our lunch, the other friend whipped out her pack of cigarettes and was about to light up. My hubby, the hero, couldn't stand it and told her in Mandarin, "Miss, could you please not smoke here? My wife is pregnant." She glared at my hero, speechless but apparently not happy, while the younger one who was already smoking, apologised. They left soon after.

I thanked hubby. I'm so glad that he told her off! I mean, what are laws for? Moreover, we were sitting right smack in the heart of the hawker centre and there were so many people around us! We were nice enough to let you share our table and there you are puffing into our face and food. Goodness gracious. Hubby said if she had dared to light up after he had told her not to, he would call the police.

I just love this man. :)

No comments: