Saturday, January 15, 2005

A Little Kindness

I went on a trip to Korea in Dec last year. In our tour group, there was a family of four with 2 young kids. Sometime during the second last day, the younger boy fell ill. His parents were worried sick as they suspected that it was fever, but couldn't be certain as they didn't have a thermometer with them. I had one with me then (I always make it a point to bring one, esp after SARS) and offered it to them. The parents were grateful.

The family extended their stay (it was pre-planned) and so we came back to Singapore without them. They still needed the thermometer as the elder girl also fell ill. I told them that it was okay and insisted that they keep the thermometer.

Today, I was pleasantly surprised to receive a card from the mother, saying thank you for the loan of the thermometer. It really made me very happy, not because I was thanked, but because others have benefitted from a little help from me. It's a very good feeling to enjoy.

A little kindness does go a long way.

No comments: